Our Sugi Bamboo Planters feature a stylish trapezoidal design, made especially for bamboo containment. Each planter is hand crafted using high quality Japanese and Western Red Cedar and reinforced with with 60 mil HDPE Bamboo Barrier. Invented by Lloyd Dubois, Planter Studio and hand built on site at Bamboo Garden. Please note, there is usually a 2-4 week wait time after the order is placed for the planter to be completed and ready to be shipped.
Maximum bamboo height: 10 to 20 feet depending on which bamboo species is installed.
Dry Weight: about 80 lbs
Weight when filled: 300-400 lbs depending on bamboo and soil type, cost does not include soil or bamboo.
Planter dimensions (outer diameter):
24" long x 22" tall* x 24" wide: $380
36" long x 22" tall* x 24" wide: $380
30" long x 22" tall* x 30" wide: $425
48" long x 22" tall* x 24" wide: $510
60" long x 22" tall* x 24" wide: $525
72" long x 22" tall* x 24" wide: $625
*note: height does not include brick footings
Custom sizes available! Give us your dimensions and inquire for details. Available in clear or black finish.
Our new Sugi Bamboo Planters provide a great alternative to planting bamboo directly in the ground. Some areas, such as gravel parking strips and patios are obviously not suitable for planting in the ground, yet tall screening is often desired. Cold hardy varieties of bamboo can quickly grow into a 10 to 20 foot evergreen screen. They are lined with 60 mil rhizome barrier for added protection.
- The bottom is a metal grate with landscape fabric to hold the soil in place. The metal grate is help in position by three pressure treated 2x4s that span the width of the bottom of the planter. The bamboo can be pushed out from the bottom of the planter with this unique, open bottom design. YouTube video of us removing and dividing a bamboo from the trapezoidal planter
- Planters provide space for 10+ years of healthy bamboo growth. Wood is a good insulator against the heat and cold.
- Pre lined with 60 mil rhizome barrier, fastened into the cedar along the top, bottom, and corners.
- Maintenance required is once or twice per year: pull rhizomes away from outer edge of barrier, thin and remove older canes to maintain good health
- We recommend installing a simple drip irrigation system to assure that the bamboo gets the water it needs during the summer. Bamboo in containers are less drought resistant, especially when they are very well established.
- Fertilize 2-3 times per year with a high nitrogen fertilizer.
- We can fit 4x planters on one pallet for a reasonable shipping rate (rates vary depending on location) Contact us for a shipping quote or come to the nursery to pick up your planter.
- It takes 5x bags (2 cu. feet ea) of potting soil to fill a planter (10 cubic feet). We recommend 4x bags of potting soil and 1x bale of organic compost. Larger bamboo obviously require less soil to fill the planter. Soil not included in list price.
Scroll to bottom of page for more general care information.
Below: Our new Extra Tough Root Pouch is a great, lower cost alternative for growing bamboo in containers. It is approximately 65 gallons in volume, and is 31 inches in diameter and 18 inches tall. With a 5 year estimated life span it is possible to grow bamboo to 20 feet in height, depending on species. After 5 years, you can transplant the bamboo into the ground or another Extra Tough Root Pouch or Bamboo Planter.
Root Pouch products are innovatively made out of a specialized fabric that comes from recycled plastic bottles. This design was made especially for bamboo growing. The fabric is about twice as thick and much stronger than the standard Root Pouch material.
$60 each including shipping.
photo copyright: Bamboo Garden
Extra Tough Root Pouch for growing bamboo.